Monday, December 14, 2009

On the 14th day of Christmas - Baileys Irish cream pebbly beach cupcakes

On the 14th day of Christmas my true love gave to me........ Rocky seashore cupcakes



I am a huge fan of Bennetts of Mangawhai chocolates. They ooze Christmas & summer for me, this is because every Christmas holidays for nearly 10 years, I would stay at my boyfriends - who became my fiance - who became my husband - who became the father of my children - familys' bach in Mangawhai. I ALWAYS indulged in Bennetts of Mangawhai chocolate whilst I was there. These days you can buy Bennetts of Mangawhai chocolates in many retail stores across NZ, or simply order direct from their website. These cupcakes feature Bennetts of Mangawhai pebbles & stones



I wanted the Baileys Irish cream icing to have a rocky/pebbly seashore feel. Whilst The Mangawhai estuary (across the road from the family bach) today has beautiful white sand along its length. In the late 1990s when I first went there, this was not the case. The beautiful white sand in place today, is the result of many years of restoration. What greeted me all those years ago, was a rocky pebble beach. My attempts at capturing this feeling is above. I felt the icing needed to have a chunky granular texture, to achieve this, I used the OH-SO YUMMY fudge from the NZ fudge farm here in Whangarei. I would have to say, this is the ONLY store bought fudge I like. The idea for this cupcake came from a wonderful ice cream that is made in store at the NZ Fudge Farm. They take Vanilla ice cream and blend it with your favourite fudge flavour, to create something, that is not unlike the appearance of the top of this cupcake.


I decided to Use "Chocolate Supreme" and "Baileys" flavoured fudge in this cupcake, to get both a flavour & colour mix. Here's what it looked like, before I crushed it up. I can honestly say, this is the nicest tasting icing, I have ever made! (so far anyway)




The Fudge farm can be found in Whangarei's beautiful Town Basin - and the best bit is - they sell Bennetts of Mangawhai chocolates too!. We sure are spoilt for choice, when it comes to sweet treats, here in the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...