Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Oz holiday inspired Hokey Pokey Cupcakes - from Kiwicakes test kitchen

I have just returned home from nearly 2 weeks in Australia visiting friends and family. As soon as we landed into Auckland it was immediately evident that our long, hot summer has come to an end. It must be truly autumn now since today I even bought my slippers to work with me!
On holiday I love to roam the supermarket for new and different products. I couldn't go past the Violet Crumble bars, which are similar to our iconic NZ Crunchie bars. The Australian counterpart is a little denser in texture and perhaps more anemic-looking inside its dark chocolate shell. Its still super yummy and guaranteed to get stuck in your teeth. I predicted that their drier consistency might hold up better in my recipie than a Crunchie bar might so I put them to the test.

I've always had a certain fondness for Violet Crumble since I was cast as the shiny purple-wrapped chocolate bar in a primary school play of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Hokey Pokey is certainly fashionable at the moment too - today while skipping across the road to buy my Crunchie bars I noticed new Hokey Pokey flavours of both ice cream sundaes and flavoured milk being advertised in two separate outlets.


These finished products are photographed on our 6-pack Le petite cupcake stands, available in a few different colours. The baking cups are bran new just arrived. Check them out here


Hokey Pokey Cupcakes
Whip together in your mixer for 1-2 minutes:
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup (250ml) cream (can use the lite variety here)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch salt
1+1/2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Then with a spatula fold through 1/2 cup (50g) coarsely chopped chocolate-coated honeycomb of your choice.
Spoon into cupcake papers or baking cups until they are 3/4 full. You want this mixture to rise up out of the papers and have some height! Bake 20-25 mins at 180 degrees until golden and oozy.
Whip 1/2 cup (125ml) of cream (remember lite cream is not suitable for whipping so this treat is not for those watching their weight!) and incorporate another 1/2 cup (50g) chopped honeycomb. Spoon on top of cooled cupcakes and enjoy immediately.
The cupcakes come out of the oven looking rustic with yummy hokey pokey melting down the outsides of the baking cups. For me, it all adds to the appeal!
The other girls at work made a lot of Mmmm Mm noises while taste testing for me and thought that although both were moreish, the Violet Crumble produced a slightly more subtle tasting cake than the sweeter Crunchie. So go ahead and use any Hokey Pokey bar you can get your hands on - or if you want a challenge there's no reason you couldn't use a combination of shattered  homemade hokey pokey (roughly 40g) and your favourite chocolate (20g) in both the mixture and the cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...