Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Melting moments - every kiwi kids favourite


Recently I've decided my little boy is ready to learn to bake &; cook. His older sister is hugely passionate. In fact if you follow my blog regularly, you'll have seen many of her recipes, both sweet & savoury. My dad was a fantastic cook, so is my hubby. I think every person needs to learn, it stands you in great stead for later in life. I've joked to him he'll get the best girlfriend if he can cook, to which he replies "eww girls!" I'm also trying to as we go along, to teach my children about home made vs shop bought and knowing your ingredients. He's always loved to pitch in and help when anyone is baking or cooking. However now I've started an actual campaign to teach him things (which includes a recipe journal, the kind you hand write in, not the kind you place printed pages in) On the weekend we started with our Marmite toasties Then we moved on to Melting Moments. To keep him enthused, I wanted to start with easily achievable things. We'll move on to the souffle in 5-10 years when he's mastered the basics. For kids, the squashing with a fork is the best bit!.

Melting moments are a firm favourite with most kids, including my little man who is a picky eater. I have fond memories of them as a child and still love to indulge.

Ingredients
Biscuits
200g Butter, room temperature
½ tsp Vanilla Essence or vanilla bean paste
½ cup Icing Sugar
½ cup Cornflour,
1½ c Flour

Icing
75g Butter, softened
1½ c Icing Sugar
A little hot water

Method
Preheat the oven to 160ÂșC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until just combined. Remove lid and scrape sides. Continue to pulse until the dough forms a ball.
Roll a small amount of the biscuit mixture into balls (about the size of a walnut)  and place them on the prepared baking trays.
Use a fork to flatten and mark the top of each biscuit.
Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for aprx 12 minutes until lightly golden.
Leave the biscuits to cool on the tray.

To make the icing, place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp hot water at a time until a firm spreadable consistency is reached. When the biscuits are cold, spread the icing on one biscuit and press another biscuit on top of it.
Makes 12 aprx (24 halves)


A nice seasonal twist is to add passionfruit pulp instead of hot water (we made a few of those for Daddy on the right)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...