Monday, June 27, 2011

How I colour my paua shells



I frequently get asked how I colour my paua shells (made using the paua shell moulds specially commissioned by Kiwicakes), after having explained it at length many times, I thought a photo tutorial might be quicker. If you need to know how to use a silicone mould see here
--> . The photos above have white hologram glitter on top of brown sugar, to look like twinkling sand on a hot sunny day.


My paua shells above I made using Dark Chocolate Satin Ice Fondant (you can use any colour, although colours don't show up well on white, or you can use melted chocolate and wait for it to set.) I greased my moulds with crsico, so I wouldn't have cornflour to dust off the dark colour fondant, this gives them a nice shine too.
I start with at least 5 colours of lustre, 1 blue, 1 green, 1 pink, 1 purple and the essential secret to making them come alive 1 gold (I often use more colours, but 5 is the minimum)


I line my paua up, open any colour of lustre and cover all of the pauas in random splats of that colour.


I repeat this process until of the paua are completely covered in splats of colour. At this stage, they look ridiculous.


Taking a large brush, sweep all of the dust off in one direction only, this blends the paua colours in one quick swift motion. I find the paper towel works well to stop excess floating around.


They are so quick and easy to make for cupcakes or cakes



They look good placed among other seashells & corals


And when required, even look good in paler tones, to match other colourways

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...