Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pizza bases are quick and easy to make - and cheap too!


Last summer we installed a cheap and cheerful little concrete pizza oven. Our family has been having so much fun with it. With 2 little people in the house that could be considered picky eaters, individual pizzas are great as we can all choose what we want - and everyone is happy! Pizza bases aren't cheap to buy at the supermarket and let's be honest most of them taste terrible, I've likened many to cardboard!. The pizza bases I make just costs cents each to make and can be frozen, so you can make a big batch and pull them out as you need them. You can make individual sizes or larger ones - it's up to you.

Pizza bases recipe
1 1/4 Cups luke warm water.
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp dried yeast granules
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
3 Cups flour (either white or wholemeal, or a mix of the two)
1/2 tsp baking powder

In a stand mixer (mix by hand if you don't have one) place water, oil, sugar and yeast and leave for 5 minutes, I do this first and then get all of my other ingredients and bits and pieces organised by which time, the yeast mixture is activated and all frothy.

To this mixture add remaining ingredients and leave mixer fitted with dough hook running for 5-6 minutes. Leave to rise 5-10 minutes (I have left this step out when in a hurry and they've still work fine)


Your mixture should be nice and stretchy, remove from bowl. And give a quick knead by hand to knock back down.


For an 8'' pan, I take a piece of dough that fits in my hand a bit smaller than a tennis ball. I roll it out to fit the pan size.


Then I lightly dust my pan with flour


Drop the dough in to the pan and prick with a fork to dock the dough.


You can make thicker too if you're not a fan of thin bases


I par bake in an oven at 200C for aprx 5 mins - at this stage they can be kept aside for your pizza party or frozen for later use. Remember you don't need to fully bake them, as they'll be further cooked when your pizza bakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...