Sunday, January 23, 2011

A birthday cake for Joy-Joy

This cake was made for a dear family friend who turned 70 this week and had her party last night. We couldn't be with her, so the cake was couriered to her. I had wanted to make the cake taller and include a "button tin" lid, propped up against the side, but I feared couriering that. The resulting design is an adaption that I felt would arrive at the other end in one piece and it did.
Joy (aka Joy-Joy) is a button collector, hence the tin of buttons, she also adores patchwork & owls. The lettering is done with the Cricut Cake machine, as are the owls. The cake board I really wanted to show, so that it looked like someone has placed a doily on top of a cake board, and placed a tin of buttons on top. The doily is also made with the Cricut. The buttons I made using these vintage and antique button moulds, I used pettinice in those - they are finished in different colours of lustre. Then I used this plastic chocolate mould and white chocolate melts, coloured with powder colour, to make a variety of buttons that looked like vintage plastic.
-->  The owls go round the circumference of the tin, interspersed with little butterflies.

3 comments:

  1. OH YUM!!!! I wondered if they would think twice about eating the buttons - they look SO real!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im wanting to design a tommy gun cake for my partners 30th bday. help i need help

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...