Tuesday, March 3, 2015

St Patrick's day chip n dip


The idea for this chip n dip started with firstly a need to create something for St Patrick's day


And secondly because our basil plant was reaching the end of the road, as it always does in summer - which always means it's pesto making time. (pesto recipe at bottom of blog post)


I found these great Farrah's Garden spinach wraps to make my own chips using a little mini shamrock cookie cutter


Simply cut the little shamrocks from the wraps. I got 24 per wrap


Spray with cooking spray or oil and shake over garlic salt, or just salt if you prefer. Bake 7 minutes at 180C, you do need to set a timer and watch them, they burn very easily.


The centrepiece for my chip n dip bowl, was a refreshing pesto sour cream. To get a pesto shamrock follow these simple steps.


Place your cookie cutter in the centre of your pesto sour cream.


Pack with pesto. Lift off. Chill immediately to solidify your shape.


A heaping great spoonful of pesto is mixed in to sour cream to create this super tasty dip. I mix in the container, so I can then spoon in to my clean bowl


To make my pesto, I pack my food processor bowl with basil leaves, add 2 cloves of crushed garlic along with the juice of 1 lemon (qty's need not be exact). Along with a 100g pack of parmesan and a good couple of handfuls of toasted nuts (pine nuts or walnuts whatever you have is fine). I turn my food processor on and down the shoot drizzle olive oil - I never use a fixed amount, just until the consistency looks right 


If ever there was a time to break out the retro "chip n dip" bowl, this would be it. Pile it up with your home made tortilla chips and you're ready to party. My hungry hordes declared these "A taste sensation!"




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...