Tuesday, March 3, 2015

St Patrick's day chip n dip


The idea for this chip n dip started with firstly a need to create something for St Patrick's day


And secondly because our basil plant was reaching the end of the road, as it always does in summer - which always means it's pesto making time. (pesto recipe at bottom of blog post)


I found these great Farrah's Garden spinach wraps to make my own chips using a little mini shamrock cookie cutter


Simply cut the little shamrocks from the wraps. I got 24 per wrap


Spray with cooking spray or oil and shake over garlic salt, or just salt if you prefer. Bake 7 minutes at 180C, you do need to set a timer and watch them, they burn very easily.


The centrepiece for my chip n dip bowl, was a refreshing pesto sour cream. To get a pesto shamrock follow these simple steps.


Place your cookie cutter in the centre of your pesto sour cream.


Pack with pesto. Lift off. Chill immediately to solidify your shape.


A heaping great spoonful of pesto is mixed in to sour cream to create this super tasty dip. I mix in the container, so I can then spoon in to my clean bowl


To make my pesto, I pack my food processor bowl with basil leaves, add 2 cloves of crushed garlic along with the juice of 1 lemon (qty's need not be exact). Along with a 100g pack of parmesan and a good couple of handfuls of toasted nuts (pine nuts or walnuts whatever you have is fine). I turn my food processor on and down the shoot drizzle olive oil - I never use a fixed amount, just until the consistency looks right 


If ever there was a time to break out the retro "chip n dip" bowl, this would be it. Pile it up with your home made tortilla chips and you're ready to party. My hungry hordes declared these "A taste sensation!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...