Thursday, September 19, 2013

Homemade rosemary olive oil crackers



Lately I've been trying to make a lot more of the food our family eats, rather than always buying processed items. When I saw this post from Chef in Disguise I just had to give making my own crackers ago, as I'd never tried before. If I knew how easy and incredibly tasty they would be, I would have done it years ago.

Together with my husband we've been trying to grow more food and buy more locally grown food, particularly spray free or organic. My husband recently arrived home with olive oil that is grown & pressed locally by V-Oliva. Now it's all I want to use! There's just no comparison to what I used to bring home from the supermarket.

The olive oil is probably the only expense for these crackers, but the recipe makes a large quantity, which is still cheaper than store bought crackers. The crackers I grabbed from the cupboard to compare had over 20 ingredients, many of which were numbers or names I couldn't  pronounce, while these have just five ingredients.

I split my batch of dough in half and sprinkled one batch with paprika and one batch with parmesan before baking. In my photo above a paprika cracker is shown with the best ever feta from Grinning Gecko and yummy pesto from Hydro Healthy. Both of which I bought at the Whangarei Growers Market. We have so much fresh rosemary in our garden I opted for fresh over dried (as used in the original recipe).

Ingredients:
1 Cup flour
1 Cup wholemeal flour
A good handful of fresh rosemary chopped finely
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add olive oil, and at least half of the water. Stir together, until it forms a nice dough, add more water if needed (you may not use it all). Rest for 5 minutes.

Roll out very thinly on baking paper, or a silicone baking sheet. I use a pizza cutter to cut them into rectangles, it's much faster than a knife and prevents dragging.

Bake at 200C for approx 10 minutes or until golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...