Sunday, January 10, 2010

Date & Walnut Torte

Between Christmas & New Years Vaughan and I took the children to Rawene where we stayed at the Rawene Motor Camp (which I can highly recommend). It was at the wonderful Boat Shed Cafe in Rawene that I tried Date & Walnut Torte. I have never tried anything that tasted quite like this before. I just had to make it when I returned home. With a little help from the internet, I found there were many versions of this recipe. I found one that was pretty good and made it today. The top of the torte is lovely and flat until you cut it, then the meringue surface breaks and cracks. It's not one of the prettiest cakes in the world, but one bite and you're done for!

There is little flour holding the goodies together, it is mainly meringue. Some recipes had ground almond in place of the flour (I am going to try that next).

You need:
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup loosely packed dates, roughly chopped
1 1/4 cups roughly chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate, (70%)
5 egg whites ( I just used chocolate melts and it still tasted great)
1 cup caster sugar

Method:
1. Grease, flour and line a 23cm cake tin (I didn't line my tin, I used the oh-so-fabulous Wilton cake release). Pulse the flour, dates and walnuts in a food processor until the mixture is course and even. Add the chocolate and pulse further to break it up, tip into a mixing bowl.

2. Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form and slowly add the sugar. Beat until glossy and stiff; gently fold into the chocolate/walnut mixture.

3. Spoon into the cake tin and cook for 25-30 minutes in a preheated 180C/fan forced 160C oven. The cake should spring back when gently pressed if cooked. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a cooling tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...