Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Salt toffee crisp truffles and my new favourite thing!


Recently after a trip to Trade Aid, my hubby introduced me to "Salt Toffee Crisp-70% dark" chocolate. At only $3.99 per block, it's a real bargain. However be warned it's very moreish and if you're anything like me you'll want to devour the entire block. It's my new favourite thing!

This awesome chocolate is:
* Fair Trade
* Organic
* Gluten free
* Sustainably packaged
* Suitable for vegetarians
* Has natural antioxidants - so it must be good for me!

I knew immediately I wanted to try making something with this chocolate. A truffle was the first thing I thought of. So back to Trade Aid I sent my dear hubby to procure some more for me.

The truffle filling is a simple ganache dipped in plain melted dark chocolate, garnished with a grain of Himalayan organic pink sea salt from Healthy Salt. The large grain of salt not only looked like a rough gem on top of the truffle, it really added a great salt kick when you chewed it.



Ingredients
200g Salt Toffee crisp 70% dark chocolate from Trade Aid
100ml cream
Dark chocolate for dipping
Rock salt grains for decoration

Method
Over a double boiler gently melt the salt toffee crisp chocolate, remove from heat as soon as chocolate is melted (this ensures the toffee crisp pieces remain unmelted). Gently bring cream to boil, as soon as it begins to boil, pour in chocolate in two batches, whisking between each addition. Spread onto baking paper to cool at room temperature. Once cooled roll into balls and dip in melted dark chocolate. A dipping swirl  makes the job much easier. Drop each truffle into a bon bon cup and place a grain of rock salt on top at time of dipping. Allow to set.
Makes 24



I placed these truffles on a dessert platter, that included the mango slices and pecan truffles, which I recently blogged about here. Along with some dates that were stuffed at each end with a ribbon rose of marzipan. The dessert platter was a huge hit at the dinner party we attended. Many declared the salt truffles their favourite.  



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...